Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Bushel of Sticks on Fire

I just received this free bounty of large (up to about 4 feet tall) Euphorbia tirucalli cuttings from my sister, who is re-thinking and thinning some of the plantings in her own fabulous garden.



My intent is to re-shape these cuttings into numerous shorter, less columnar plants (while being careful with their milky sap, which is a skin irritant) and re-planting in a yet-to-be determined location(s). If you've seen Sticks on Fire at the nursery, especially Roger's Gardens, you know that good-sized specimens like this are pretty expensive - I'm guessing this photo is close to $100.00 retail worth of plants.

In fact, one of my own Sticks on Fire is ready to be "pruned" of a large cutting itself, thus supplying me with even more to re-plant. Pictures of the results will be posted at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment