Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dichroa febrifuga




I have no luck growing basic Hydrangea macrophylla, however I have had nice success with a hydrangea relative that is native to Nepal!  Here is Dichroa febrifuga, also called Blue Evergreen Hydrangea.  I found this plant several years ago at The Orangery, a short-lived nursery that occupied the outdoor space adjacent to the sorely-missed Denman's in Old Town Orange.  I can't say I've seen it anywhere else.  The specimen is not even listed in my 40th anniversary, 1995 version of Sunset Garden Book.

I'm wondering, has it been added into recent editions?

Indeed, it is native to Nepal and southeast China, and the plant is evidently used as a natural remedy for reducing fever.  The plant has many of the characteristics of common hydrangea, and mine could actually use a little shaping up as you can see,  but as is, it has a very pleasing, California native look to me.  I can imagine this plant looking right at home growing wild in some shady redwood grove somewhere in Big Sur.

My specimen is planted in a shady, naturally mulched area underneath the spreading boughs of a good-sized Juniper tree.  The area stays pretty moist.  Evidently the blueness of the blooms can be manipulated by adjusting soil PH, but I do nothing of the sort.  According to San Marcos Growers, this plant can reach 4-6 feet in height, but mine is no taller than 3 feet.

I'm going to assume this plant will thrive in any garden up and down the California coast.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment