Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Alstroemeria Meadow




Although Sunset recommends they be grown in full sun, I have a "meadow" of alstroemeria planted in a very shady area that has been quite successful over the years.  The meadow is a riotous mish-mash of five different varieties of alstroemeria, with some errant blackberry vines, nasturtium and Japanese artemisia all forming this cool, wild looking meadow.  I don't do much of anything to tend to this area, other than pull the spent flower stalks.  It does get regular surface watering from the sprinklers as soon as the weather warms up.  I try to never let the top soil get dry during warm/hot weather.  This plot looks pretty sad during the winter, as the alstroemeria and artemisia both die off more or less to the roots.  However, come spring everything sprouts up and looks great.

Although I never noted which varieties I planted, I believe two of them are Peruvian Lily - or alstroemeria aurea, which I purchased at Green Scene a few years back.  These two varieties will have flower stalks well over three feet tall as we move closer to summer. 

  

1 comment:

  1. that's good information on the alstroemeria. Im goiing to try some in the shade

    ReplyDelete